Bookish Treasures is currently closed for review requests and is not doing any new posts at this time.

Feature Friday - Interview with Cheyanne Young

15 Feb 2014
Feature Friday is a feature on Bookish Treasures that spotlights an author and their latest release. Every Friday I will be featuring an author through either an interview or a guest post. If you are interested in taking part please send me an email.

This week I am featuring YA author Cheyanne Young.

Powered by Cheyanne Young



Synopsis

Maci Might's sixteenth birthday is supposed to be the day she's awarded Hero status. But thanks to a tiny anger problem and a questionable family tree, King City's elders think it's best if she doesn't join the Hero ranks. Determined to change their minds, Maci will break whatever rule it takes to prove she's Hero material. As her hair darkens and her anger grows, everyone turns against her except Evan; a childhood friend turned scientist who may be able to unlock the secrets hidden in her DNA.

When a villain attacks King City and her dad is held prisoner, Maci discovers a truth she refuses to believe. She may not be a Hero after all—but this time the Heroes of King City need her more than she needs them. And she won't let them down.


Try it for yourself! Goodreads | Amazon | Amazon UK

Interview with Cheyanne Young


Why did you decide to become an author?

I’ve always been a massive daydreamer who thinks up these detailed stories in my head. One day I decided to write them down. Becoming an author didn’t occur to me until much later. It’s hard getting the confidence to put your work out there.

How do you balance writing with other things in your life?

I don’t balance it very well at all! When I’m deeply involved in a book, it’s easy to let other things slide (like washing dishes and doing laundry). Which is why I often eat out of Tupperware and lounge around in pajamas on the weekends. If I didn’t have my awesome daughter and understanding husband helping me keep the house together, I don’t know what I’d do.

What is your favourite thing about being an author?

I don’t always love writing books but I love when they’re finished and someone else reads them. Being able to share the stories from my daydreams with other people is a very exciting and rewarding thing. Occasionally I get emails from teenagers who loved my books. That is absolutely the best thing ever.

What are your favourite books?

I love anything by Sarah Dessen, Kurt Vonnegut, John Green & Claudia Grey. It’s hard to list just my favourite books because I love so many… but here are a few: The Catcher in the Rye, The Sky is Everywhere, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Giver, The Book Thief, and of course, Harry Potter

Are there any books/authors that inspired you to write?

I was inspired to start writing after reading and loving several books by Sarah Dessen. I had always imagined myself being just like her, however after I started finding my way as an author, my own style developed in a way that makes my writings not like hers at all. She is still a huge inspiration to me though!

Describe your book in one sentence.

Powered – A villain’s desperation to be a hero.

Where did you get the idea for Powered, did anything inspire you to write it?

I’d love to say that something ridiculously awesome inspired this book but in reality, I was sick and spent the day lying on the couch watching a marathon of Spiderman movies. When the last one was over, I thought to myself, ‘I could write a book that’s better than this’ and so I did. It was my first adventure into fantasy instead of my usual genre of contemporary romance. I screwed up a lot and went through about five drafts before Powered was complete.

What made you decide to write a Young Adult fantasy novel?

My original goals as an author was to make a name for myself in the YA contemporary romance genre and, I really did not want to write Powered because it was a fantasy. But the characters formed in my mind and Maci, the main character, was so stubborn and persistent that I couldn’t let her go. I eventually gave up and wrote Maci’s story, giving the fantasy genre my best shot. It was hard, for sure, but I really loved the experience and I’m excited to be working on book 2.

What would you say makes your book unique and worth reading?

Maci Might is an anti-hero. She doesn’t get rescued by the hot boy and she doesn’t succeed at everything she does. She has to work for it and she makes a lot of mistakes along the way. A blogger once called her “arrogant in the best possible way” and I think that’s a great way to put it. J

Is there any specific message you wanted to convey in the book?

Yes, that no one has to accept a life they were born into. You can make yourself into the person you want to be if you work hard and want it badly enough. Also, there’s a lot of family/friendship loyalty in the Powered series and I’m all about loyalty.

What are your plans for future books?

Understudy comes out tomorrow! (2/15/2014) It’s a YA romance that’s a fun and quick read. After that you’ll see another YA Fantasy from me and of course, the final two books in the Powered Series. And those are just the books I’m working on now. My mind is always creating new stories.

Do you have any hobbies and Interests unrelated to books?

I love dirt bikes and motocross. I’m also an avid pizza and junk food eater. I paint my nails just about every day and have a collection of nail polish that’s almost as big as my book collection.

Would you ever consider putting these (answer to above) into any of your books?

Yes and yes! Motocross Me was my first book and it’s all about dirt bikes. I also have a pretty bad habit of making my characters eat whatever food I’m craving while I’m writing. I may or may not have paused my writing session to order a pizza after having my characters eat it in a story once. ..

FUN STUFF

If you could meet any one author (dead or alive) who would it be and why?

I’d love to meet R.L. Stine because he was a huge part of my childhood. I read every single Goosebumps and Fear Street book when I was a kid and I firmly believe that if it weren’t for his books then I’d never have become a reader and thus a writer. I don’t even want to imagine my life without books and I’d really love to meet him personally and thank him for that. Plus I follow him on Twitter and he just seems so AWESOME!

Tell us one interesting fact about yourself.

I have lupus which gives me severe arthritis, particularly in my hands. I keep writing books anyway.

What is your favourite food?

Fried pickles, Dark chocolate & Pizza. Separately of course…  J

What is the most adventurous thing you have ever done?

My best friend and I agreed to have dinner with a shady-looking guy at a convention who said he was a host of the entire con. When we met up with him, he had brought 3 cast members of the Harry Potter films with him and we all ate dinner and hung out for hours. It was THE. COOLEST. THING. EVER.

If you could be any supernatural creature which would you choose?

Can I say George Weasley’s witch girlfriend? Because that’s what I’d choose.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment I promise to cherish it forever :) I will also try to always reply.